Smashed Cucumber Salad with Lime Pepper
Perfect for a hot summer day, this is a deliciously refreshing snack or side dish. Serve with cottage cheese and lettuce wraps for something light. Or add avocado and a can of tuna for something more substantial.
Prep time – 10 mins
Total – 10 mins
2 large English cucumbers or 6-8 mini cucumbers
1 tsp lime pepper
½ tsp sugar
1 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsp chopped chives
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp honey
1 clove of minced garlic
1 pinch of crushed red chile flakes
1 chive blossom, as garnish (optional)
- Cut the cucumbers into mid sized sections and place them into a jar, ziplock or between two pieces of Saran wrap (to avoid making a mess) and use a meat tenderizer (or rolling pin) to smash into small pieces.
- Sprinkle with half a tsp of Lime Pepper.
- Put into a strainer, and let sit for 30 minutes to remove some of the liquid.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, garlic and chile flakes until combined.
- Toss the cucumbers (and avocado, if using) lightly with the dressing and plate with sesame seeds (optional) and chive blossoms.