Mustard & Browned Butter Rice Crispy Squares
So we know there are a few Rice Krispie Square enthusiasts in the mix, so this one is for you! If these don’t have a cult-following yet – they will soon! Browning the butter adds a mildly nutty flavour. And the hit of salt, together with both DSF and grain mustard, takes these to the next level. Beware. They are a bit addictive!
Prep time 10 minute
Cooling time 1-2 hours
1 Tbsp Canola oil
½ cup Unsalted butter
1 tsp DSF Mustard powder
½ tsp Sea salt
2 bags of Marshmallows
8 cups Puffed rice cereal (Alt 6 Cups Rice Cereal + 2 Cups Raffles Chips, Crumbled)
2 tsp Yellow Mustard seed (whole)
1 Tbsp Sesame Seeds (Optional)
- Prep a 9×13-inch baking dish with oil to prevent sticking.
- In a large bowl measure out the rice cereal (and chips, if using). Set aside.
- Using a large, heavy-bottomed pot, melt the butter on medium-low heat. It will melt, get foamy, go clear and then start to turn a toasty brown colour. (Stir frequently and don’t let it burn!)
- Turn heat to low and sprinkle in the dry mustard and sea salt. Stir.
- Add the marshmallows, stirring constantly until the mixture is completely melted.
- Using a rubber spatula, add the melted marshmallows to the rice cereal and stir quickly. (I’ve sometimes used two spatulas, for expediency).
- Add mustard seed and peanuts (Optional)
- Scrape into the oiled pan, and press down using your hands, if needed. (dampen with cool water to avoid extreme stickiness).
- Smooth the top and allow to sit for an hour before cutting.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds (Optional)
- You can reduce the riced cereal to 6 cups and use 2 cups of crushed ripple chips for a saltier version.
- Or add a ½ salted roasted peanuts when mixing the puffed rice.