Lavender-Scented Strawberry Soup
Add more lemon and serve as a light appetizer. Or add a bit more sugar, less lemon and a dollop of whipped cream to serve as a dessert. It’s beautiful to serve (especially in white or cream bowls) and lends well to a summery sprezzatura vibe.
- 1 Cup of Water
- ½ Cup of Sugar (reduce to ⅓ cup of sugar if serving as an appetizer)
- 2 tsp Lavender
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice (plus more to flavour, if serving as an appetizer.)
- 1 pinch of Salt
- 1 pint of Strawberries, stems removed (leave whole)
- sprigs of Mint, to serve
- Bring the water, sugar and lavender to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer for 5-10 minutes. Set aside to steep for a few minutes then test for flavour and strain to remove the lavender
- Add the strawberries and simmer gently for 8-10 minutes. Using a potato masher or fork, gently break down the full strawberries. (I like to leave some larger pieces for texture, but it’s totally your choice.)
- Serve chilled and garnished with mint and/or add a dollop of whipped cream (if serving as a dessert).