Decadent Mac & Cheese
This is an amazing spin on a timeless classic! The Flav-O-Matic topping and the drizzle of luxurious truffle oil elevate this comfort food to a new stratosphere of deliciousness. This is a snap to pull together if you organize the ingredients in advance. Feel free to play around with different cheeses.
Time: Prep: 30 min; Cook Time: 30 min
16 oz elbow macaroni, cooked (or other small pasta)
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups whole milk (You can make it more decadent by using light cream or less rich by using 2% milk)
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
2 cups Gruyere cheese shredded
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups panko crumbs
3 to 4 Tbsp of Flav-O-Matic spice blend
4 Tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
1/2 tsp smoked paprika (or regular paprika)
Truffle oil to drizzle (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a large 3 qt or 4 qt baking dish and set aside. Combine shredded cheeses in a large bowl and set aside.
- Cook the pasta one-minute shy of al dente according to the package instructions. Remove from heat, drain, and place in a large bowl. Drizzle pasta with olive oil and stir to coat pasta. Set aside to cool.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Whisk in flour over medium heat and continue whisking for about 1 minute until bubbly and golden. Gradually whisk in the milk until nice and smooth. Continue whisking until you see bubbles on the surface and then continue cooking and whisking for another 2 minutes. Whisk in salt and pepper.
- Add two cups of shredded cheese and whisk until smooth. Add the remaining two cups of shredded cheese and continue whisking until creamy and smooth. Sauce should be nice and thick. Stir in the cooled pasta until combined and pasta is fully coated with the cheese sauce. Pour the mac and cheese into the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine panko crumbs, Flav-O-Matic, Parmesan cheese, melted butter and paprika. Sprinkle over the top of the mac and cheese and bake until bubbly and golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately. Drizzle a little bit of truffle oil over each serving (optional but highly delicious!)