Crispy Umami Brussels Sprouts
The umami flavour is writ large in this recipe, with an umami-ish quality to nearly all the ingredients (the sprouts, the cheese and Rather than Flowers). And, this is one of those ‘no recipe’ style recipes, where it’s less of ‘an exact formula’ and more of ‘a few ingredients tossed together’ and a few basic instructions.
- Brussels Sprouts, cleaned, stemmed and halved (aim for all toughly the same sized, ideally)
- Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
- Rather than Flowers
- Parmesan, finely grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425° F and prep a baking pan (or cookie sheet) with a liner (silpat baking mat, parchment paper or foil).
- In a bowl large enough for your prepped sprouts, toss a little olive oil, a dusting of Rather than Flowers, a sprinkling of parmesan.
- Place the sprouts with the flat side down, spread out well on the baking sheet. Bake for between 17 – 27 minutes, (depending on the size) checking doneness (tender enough to pierce with a fork and a nice golden brown colour). No need to turn them part way through.
- Test for flavour and add a bit of salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Serve hot.