Baked Fennel & Tarragon-Crusted Salmon with Fennel and Leeks
This is a simple and beautiful dish that is quick enough for a mid-week dinner and fancy enough for an elegant dinner party. And, as a bonus, it only requires 1 pan! (Pescatarian, keto, paleo, gluten free!).
Serves: 4- 6 people
Time: Prep: 10 mins; Cook Time: 20 mins
2 fennel bulbs (washed, sliced very thin, reserve fronds)
2 leeks (washed thoroughly, sliced thin)
2 Tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
5 tsp fennel seeds, crushed (divided)
1/2 tsp chilli flakes (divided)
Salt and pepper (to taste)
4 Tbsp (1/4 cup) butter
2 Tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh tarragon
Lemon peel, grated from 1 lemon
1 Tbsp (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
1.5 lb salmon fillet (680 g)
Lemons for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Place sliced leeks and fennel into a bowl. Drizzle with 2 Tbsp of olive oil and season with 1 tsp fennel seeds, ¼ tsp chilli flakes, and salt and pepper. Toss well. Place veggies on a cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven for 10 mins.
- While the veggies cook, put the butter, chopped tarragon,4 tsp fennel seeds, ¼ tsp chilli flakes. lemon peel and lemon juice in small saucepan over low heat until butter melts. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove cookie sheet from oven. Increase the temperature of the oven to 450°F (232°C).
- Put salmon fillet on top of fennel & leeks. Brush butter mixture over salmon.
- Return pan to oven bake for 10 – 12 mins.
- Garnish with fennel fronds and lemon slices.