Are you looking to spice up your breakfast or brunch routine?
Here’s something for you to try! This recipe is a hybrid, taking some notes from both “Huevos Rancheros” and “Turkish Eggs.” (The basic concept of eggs poached in a delicious sauce has some similarities.)
This recipe saves some time by using Rotel (aka canned tomatoes). The tomatoes and peppers with fennel and mustard seed, sumac, and cumin add a flavourful, spicy kick to the dish.
Serve either with some toasted pita bread and feta cheese crumbles or as-is for a gluten-free option.
INGREDIENTS – Eggs
- 4 Large Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Sumac
- 2 cloves of Garlic, crushed
- 2 10oz cans of Rotel, original
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fresh Parsley
SUMAC YOGURT SAUCE
- ½ Cup Greek yogurt
- ½ Cup Mayonnaise
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Sumac
- 1 Clove of Garlic, crushed
- Dash of Hot sauce
DIRECTIONS-SUMAC YOGURT SAUCE
- Add all ingredients to a bowl stir well to combine. Refrigerate until serving
- This sauce tastes better the longer the flavours blend. For the best flavour, make sauce 2 hrs or up to 1 night ahead.
- The unused sauce will keep refrigerated for one week.
- Add olive oil to a large frying pan over med/high heat. Add fennel, mustard seed, cumin, sumac and toast the spices for 1-2 minutes, continuing to stir and being careful not to burn. Add the garlic and saute for another minute. Then add the Rotel and tomato paste.
- Continue to cook, stirring until sauce cooks down and thickens up about 10-15 minutes.
- Use a spoon to make four small wells in the tomato sauce, then crack an egg into each well, so they poach in the sauce.
- If you are using feta, sprinkle it over the eggs and cook with the lid on for 4-5 minutes. (Adjust the cooking time to suit how you most like your eggs to be cooked.)
- Sprinkle some fresh parsley and a little fresh, cracked black pepper and salt on the eggs. Serve with yogurt sauce and toasted pita bread.