Vegetable Tagine (a la pressure cooker)
This vegan, pressure cooker vegetable tagine has a brilliant combination of ingredients that will have everyone coming back for seconds. Serve with lemon and herb couscous. Gluten-free.
Serves: 4 to 6
Time: Prep: 15 mins; Cook Time: 15 mins
- 2 Tbsp (40 ml) olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (30 ml) Dial R blend
- 1 medium (1.5lb/ 750 g) butternut squash (fresh or frozen), chopped into 1-inch thick pieces
- 3 cups (750 ml) vegetable broth
- 3 cups (796 ml) crushed tomatoes (canned)
- ½ cup (125 ml) chopped dried apricot
- 1 stick of cinnamon (or 1 tsp ground cinnamon)
- 2 cups (398 ml) canned chickpeas, strained and rinsed
- 1 lb (450 gm) spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 1 lemon – juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup (60 ml) chopped cilantro and/or chopped spring onions
- In a pressure cooker, sauté onion for 3-5 minutes in olive oil until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add Dial R blend, stir in to evenly cover onions.
- Deglaze with a couple of tablespoons of broth. Stir to remove any brown bits.
- Add butternut squash, vegetable broth, crushed tomatoes, apricots, cinnamon stick and salt. Stir to combine.
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 8 minutes.
- Do a quick release of pressure. Open lid.
- Add chickpeas and spinach to the pot and sauté until spinach is wilted and the chickpeas have warmed (about 3 minutes). Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Adjust according to taste.
- Serve in bowls over couscous, rice or potatoes. Garnish with fresh cilantro and green onions.