Texas Campfire Chili
This slow cooker chili is made with plenty of spice and packed with flavour. And this chili is vastly improved by being slow-cooked. It’s simple to prepare. Makes you yearn for a cookout. Serve with cornbread and a crisp green salad.
Serves: 8 – 10
Time: Prep: 30 min; Cook Time: 8 hours
5 slices smoked bacon
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 cup (~2 stalks) celery, finely chopped
1 cup (~1 small) yellow onion finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 small jalapeno peppers, finely diced (use 1 if you’re not a heat lover)
1 can (540 ml/19 oz) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (398 ml/14 oz) brown beans in molasses, undrained
1 can (540 ml/19 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cans (796 ml/28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (177ml/6 ounces) tomato paste
907 g (2 pounds) ground beef chuck (or stewing beef cut into 1” cubes) or use a mix of both
453 g (1 pound) Italian sausage, skin removed
3 Tbsp (44 ml) Lonestar’s Leap blend
1 1/2 Tbsp (22 ml) chili powder
1 tsp (5 ml) cayenne (adjust according to your love of heat)
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Toppings: fresh cilantro, sour cream and cheddar cheese
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. Set aside.
- Add the red pepper, green pepper, celery, onion, garlic and jalapeno pepper to the skillet. Sauté the veggies over medium heat until tender, about 5 mins. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the three cans of beans, 2 cans of diced tomatoes, and the tomato paste to the slow cooker.
- In the same skillet used to cook the bacon and veggies, cook the ground beef (or stewing beef) and Italian sausage until no longer pink over medium high heat. Drain off all the fat and add into the slow cooker.
- Add all the seasonings to the crockpot. Chop the bacon into small pieces and stir that in the slow cooker. Stir everything together well.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Taste and adjust seasonings (salt, pepper, chili powder, etc.) Enjoy with fresh cilantro, sour cream and cheddar cheese.