Smokey Cheddar Biscuits
Drop biscuits are the best! They are easy to make and fast – and are the perfect complement to a bowl of soup or chilli. If you have any leftovers (which rarely happens around here), transform eggy-breakfast sandwiches into something quite special.
Prep time 5-8 minutes / Baking time 12 -15 minutes
2 ¼ Cup Flour, all-purpose
1 TBSP Sugar
1 TBSP Garlic Powder
1 TBSP Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 ½ tsp Parsley, dried
½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 Cups of Old Cheddar, grated
1 Cup Buttermilk (if you don’t have Buttermilk, add a TBSP of lemon juice to regular milk)
½ Cup Butter, unsalted, melted & cooled
Topping – Ingredients
2 TBSP Buttermilk
1 tsp Parsley, dried
½ tsp Spanish Paprika
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees, and line a baking sheet with either parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Mix all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, garlic powder, baking powder, salt, smoked paprika, and cayenne) and use a whisk to blend.
- Add the grated cheese and mix.
- Add the melted butter to the buttermilk, and then combine the wet mixture with the dry/cheese mixture. Blend gently until just mixed.
- Using a ⅓ cup as a scoop (or an ice cream scoop works well, too), place the dough on the lined baking sheet leaving about 3 cm between each one.
- Bake for 13 – 15 minutes until the bottoms are lightly browned.
- Mix the ‘topping’ ingredients together and lightly brush the tops with it when the biscuits are fresh out of the oven.
- Serve warm or cool with a bowl of soup, stew or chilli!