Shakshuka with Dial R for Ras
This tasty combination of tomatoes, eggs and feta is never a miss and works well for either breakfast or lunch! We’ve added some Dial R for Ras to this tomato / poached egg combo to give it a middle eastern twist.
This dish lends well to your personal taste. You can replace the eggs with tofu for a tasty vegan option, or add sausage for something extra hearty. Toss in some spinach or chopped zucchini, if you want extra veg. And add some chilies or hot sauce – if you want a little extra heat.
Serve with thick toast, or on a bed of couscous or rice.
1/3 Cup olive oil
1 Onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves of garlic
1 Tbsp Dial R for Ras
1 tsp kosher salt
1 Can (796 mL) of crushed tomatoes
6 – 8 eggs (depending on the size of the group)
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1/4 Cup of Feta, crumbled.
Chopped parsley or cilantro, for garnish.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan (use a frying pan that has a lid that fits!). Add onions and cook on medium until translucent. (appx 6 minutes)
- Add garlic and Dial R for Ras, salt and stir continuing to cook at medium heat for another minute or two.
- Add tomatoes, and reduce heat. Let simer on low heat until sauce starts to thicken. (about 10 minutes)
- Using a large spoon, create small pockets for the eggs. Crack eggs and add, one at a time. Cover and cook until egg whites start to set, but yokes are still soft. (about 6 – 8 minutes)
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with feta and parsley or cilantro and serve with toast or on couscous.