Jerk Veggie Latkes
Lighter than potato latkes and an awesome use for the abundance of zucchinis this year. Even non-zucchini fans love our untraditional take on this eastern European staple.
- 4 cups Zucchini, shredded
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Flour
- 2 ½ Tbsp Offbeat Jerk
- 1 Tbsp Corn starch
- 2 Eggs, whisked
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- Toss the shredded zucchini in the salt and let sit for 10 minutes in a strainer, cheesecloth or nut milk bag (*reserve the juice) while you prepare the batter, then squeeze the zucchini to remove the moisture.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch and Offbeat Jerk until well combined.
- Add the zucchini and fluff to coat with the flour mixture.
- Gently stir in enough egg to make a soggy mix (stop before it gets soupy).
- Heat the oil to coat the skillet/frypan.
- Drop a +/- 2 Tbsp mound of the battered zucchini, then using your spatula, pat it down gently to about 2 cm thick.
- Repeat for 4 – 6 more latkes depending on the size of your pan
- Cook on medium heat till crisp-brow, flip, repeat around 5 minutes per side
- Transfer latkes to a plate, garnish with sour cream or crème fraise and fresh herbs.