Cross a pancake with a popover, bake it in a cast-iron pan and add toppings (like a pizza) to serve it, and you have a Hootenanny! This is a savoury take on what is sometimes called a ‘Dutch Baby’ (served as a dessert with berries and sugar). The mushroom, onion, garlic and sage in Rather than Flowers are subtle but flavoursome.
2 Servings / 20 Minutes active /
40 Minutes total time
3 Eggs, room tempurature
2/4 Cup Milk, room tempurature
3 Tbsp Butter, unsalted, melted and cooled to room tempurature
½ Cup Flour
2 Tbsp Cornstarch
2 Tsp Rather than Flower
Black pepper, fresh ground to taste
Choice of toppings – cheese, mushrooms (sautéd), prosciutto, ham or bacon, kale, asparagus, fried egg, avocado, and smoked salmon.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees with your oven-proof skillet (cast iron). Don’t butter your pan yet! Let the pan heat up with your oven.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch and Rather than Flowers.
- Blend the eggs so that they are frothy, using a high-speed setting. Add the milk slowly, keeping the blender on high.
- Add 2 Tbsp of the butter to the blended eggs (reserving 1 Tbsp for greasing the skillet).
- Then gently add the flour mixture until just blended.
- Take the skillet out of the oven. Add the butter, pour your batter into the pan and replace in the oven for 20 – 23 minutes
- Prep your toppings. Depending on what you want to serve, grate cheese, blanch spinach or kale, cut your avocado, and/or sauté mushrooms.
- When fully cooked, top with your choice of toppings and serve.