Gorgeous Rockin’ Oysters
A sure way to impress your guests with this fun spin on the classic Oysters Rockefeller. Oysters, on the half-shell topped with a buttery, herby, panko crumb, flavoured with Saturnalia. (Switch out the panko for crushed pork rinds for a low-carb option!)
- 1/3 Cup Butter, unsalted
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ Cup Panko Breadcrumbs (or 1 Cup of Crushed Pork Rinds)
- ½ Onion, small and finely chopped
- 2 Cups Spinach, fresh
- 1/3 Cup Beer (lager style/ or you can sub white wine)
- 1 tsp Saturnalia spice blend
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1/3 Cup Pecorino Romano Cheese (plus a little extra for topping)
- 24 Oysters, fresh and on the half shell
- Rock Salt
- Lemon wedges and hot sauce, to serve.
- Preheat oven to 450. Cover the bottom of a baking pan with rock salt. Arrange the oysters on the salt bed to steady them.
- In a bowl, mix together Panko (or pork rinds), Saturnalia blend, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a skillet, melt butter and saute onion for 2 minutes and then add garlic. Saute one minute more adding spinach and cook until it welts.
- Deglaze the pan with beer or white wine and allow the mixture to cook down for a few minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- To the breadcrumb mixture, add the olive oil and pecorino and season with salt and pepper. Combine the breadcrumb mixture with the spinach mixture and stir to combine. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of the mixture onto each oyster and top with a pinch of the extra grated pecorino.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden. Serve hot with lemon wedges and hot sauce.