Fusion Shrimp in Smoked Paprika Coconut Sauce
Time: Prep: 5 min; Cook time: 25 mins
This is a quick dish packed with flavour. It is a Spanish riff on an Indian coconut curry. The sauce approaches a shrimp bisque. Delicious!
2 Tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
1 onion, chopped finely
2 – 3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp (30 ml) minced fresh ginger
1 Tbsp (15 ml) ground coriander
½ tsp smoked paprika
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup (250 ml) diced tomatoes
1 can (398 ml) unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 cup (125 ml) water
1-pound (450 g) large shrimp, shelled
1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped cilantro (parsley or dill can be substituted)
¼ cup (60 ml) chopped green onion
- Heat the oil in a medium sized frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Mix together the coriander, paprika, cinnamon, salt and red pepper flakes. Add the spices to the onion mixture and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the coconut milk and water and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and cook at a low boil, stirring frequently, until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the pan. Reduce the heat to low and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are just done, 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro and green onions.
- Serve over basmati rice. For a keto version, serve the shrimp with lots of sauce on a bed of baby spinach.