BEET ROSTI WITH DIAL R FOR RAS
A rosti (aka rösti) is essentially the Swiss version of a potato pancake.
In this version, we’ve cooked the beets so that sugars caramelize and a chewy, sweet crust forms. And the warm, earthy flavours of the Dial R for Ras meld together with the sweetness in a truly magical way. Add a little feta or a dollop of sour cream to it, or, serve it as a base for your protein of choice (it would be a particularly delicious compliment with pork, turkey or lamb).
- 4 – 5 Beets, peeled and grated (either medium or finely-grated works)
- ½ cup Flour
- 2 Tbsp The Gorgeous Spice Dial R for Ras
- 2 – 4 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tbsp Butter, unsalted
- A pinch of Salt
- Peel and grate the raw beets and squeeze as much moisture from the shredded beets as you can (either with your bare hands or wrung in cheesecloth or a food-grade mesh bag, if you have one). Rinse your hands immediately to avoid staining, and expect the cloth to be permanently tinted red.
- Heat the skillet on medium-low heat, add 1 tbsp each of the butter and oil to coat the surface and curve of the pan – more may be needed if using an iron or steel pan
- Toss 1 tbsp of Dial R with the shredded beets and mix the remaining tbsp of Dial R for Ras with the flour and a pinch of salt.
- Sprinkle ½ of the flour-spice combo on the shredded beets and toss to coat, then repeat with the remaining flour-Dial R mix.
- Place the seasoned shredded beet mix in the heated skillet and press gently with a spatula to create a flat pancake. If using a non-stick pan, you can go to the edge of the pan. In using an iron or steel pan, leave a 2 – 3 cm space around the edge of the beet so you can easily slide a spatula should the rosti start to stick.
- Shake the pan occasionally while it cooks, and once it is crisp and browned, prepare to flip it by inverting it onto a plate.
- Melt the remaining oil and butter in the pan and swirl to coat the surface and slide the uncooked side of the beet rosti into the pan to cook. Once crisp and browned on both sides, remove the beet rosti from the pan by sliding (or inverting) onto a plate.
- Serve hot or at room temperature, sliced like a pie and garnished with sour cream or crumbled feta and herbs.